Ss. Peter and Paul Jesuit Parish is a growing, diverse Catholic community, located in a historic church in the heart of downtown Detroit, and engaged in today’s revival of the city. Our parish draws from the whole metro area, with parishioners in 70+ zip codes and a large population of young adults. We are home to the Pope Francis Center ministry to the homeless, Contemplative Leaders in Action-Detroit, and Jesuit Friends and Alumni of Detroit.
We are seeking a full-time Director of Parish Life to engage parishioners as part of a team approach to fulfilling our mission as a church for the city in the heart of downtown: to welcome new parishioners, recruit and support volunteers, and oversee and develop parish programs to sustain and increase parishioner involvement and spiritual growth. The Director will also oversee the Digital Media Coordinator to support the parish’s integrated marketing efforts and animate parishioner outreach to the wider Detroit community.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
• Develop and implement new parishioner welcome and engagement process. Support a culture of radical hospitality in the parish.
• Engage and recruit parish Volunteers. Requires face to face interaction with parishioners, especially before and after Sunday liturgies.
• Oversee existing parish programs, and develop new ones as needed, to sustain and increase parishioner involvement and spiritual growth; significant programs include adult formation, young adult ministries, and social justice ministries.
• Liaison between parish committees and Parish Support Team (leadership team); connect committees with each other for integrated ministry.
• Lead Support Team in planning parish signature events; oversee their execution. Support major events put on by parish ministries.
• Oversee the part-time Digital Media Coordinator: assist in planning integrated marketing efforts and supply content; connect programs, committees, and ministries with Digital Media Coordinator.
• Animate parishioner outreach to wider Detroit community. Help parishioners engage with other churches and public events in service of the parish’s mission.
• Attend all Parish Support Team meetings. Participate in local workshops, conferences, and continuing education pertinent to this position.
Mission-focused; sets personal and organizational priorities based on mission.
Commitment to inclusion and diversity.
Self-directed, self-starter AND team-player. Can work collaboratively.
Can respond creatively to SSPP’s unique character that sets it apart from other parishes.
Socially adept, comfortable meeting and engaging people, and working in front of them.
Qualifications and Requirements
Thorough familiarity with Catholic life and practice; familiarity with Ignatian Spirituality a plus.
Understands the Jesuit Universal Apostolic Preferences and can align efforts to them.
College degree required.
Some experience in parish ministry and working with volunteers preferred.
Able to design and set up events; able to host and present at meetings.
Able to deal with a variety of generations and demographics, including Young Adults and Young Families.
Regular availability on evenings and weekends.
Basic familiarity with digital and social media.
Basic computer skills required: Word, Excel, email; ability to learn parish database.